Thursday, June 4, 2009

Nostalgia in the kitchen


So one of our favorite meals for dinner is breakfast!
I had a craving this week and a pint of blueberries just screaming to jump into some pancake batter. I had promised the hubster I would make a big breakfast spread and that it was!
Blueberry pancakes, homemade biscuits and gravy, fruit salad, bacon and scrambled eggs. YUMMY!
I have always used the same recipe for pancakes as long as I have been cooking and as I took my cookbook out to retrieve the recipe I was hit with a waive of nostalgia. This was my very first cook book that I got for Christmas when I was about 8 or 9 years old.



I remember pouring over the recipes, excited to try each and every one and I think I did. I was always so pleased with myself as a young cook as I would measure and pour and mix and blend.
As an adult, I love to cook and even more, love to feed people. I know this desire was heavily influenced by all the many years I watched mama in the kitchen as she prepared meals for our family just about every night. There may have been chaos in the rest of our lives, but there was always dinner on the table and and for many years, we were all at the table together to enjoy her culinary creations.
I have managed to find many of the most coveted family recipes by both mama and my memaw and cherish them. I love that cooking bring me so much joy!

1 comment:

  1. I have a very nostalgic first Betty Crocker cook book as well... aren't they the best? Boy what I wouldn't do for that pint of blueberries!! Sounds like a super yummy dinner...

    ReplyDelete