Sunday, April 24, 2011

Blowing Winds

Chasing after the bunny and barbie was a whopper of a spring storm! It was the second major weather event we have experienced since living here and WOW, mother nature really knows how to dress up the weather. I was hoping for rain and got hail and 70mph winds. Thankfully, all of my plants survived but our poor fence was another matter. We knew we needed to be thinking about replacing it since it was old and not in the greatest of shape, we just didn't realize the time line for that project would be so close behind the pool remodel.
I remember looking out the window to see how our new french drains were holding up only to see our neighbors truck and alot of the park...blink, blink, wait.....that's not right. We lost about 80 feet of fence and talk about getting a more open feel to the yard, not that we needed that, but we got it.
On the bright side, now I can start planting my vines and perimeter plants that I had been holding off on as soon as the new fence goes up.







Our beautiful sparkly blue pool had quickly changed to a swampy shade of green and littered with a thick layer of debris and some large branches.


It was my first clean up project of the day and while it took several hours, I am proud to say that by early afternoon we were back to sparkly blue.

I've never been a huge fan of Bradford Pear trees, but they are pretty. Our house came with two of them and would you believe in the short time we've lived here we have now lost both?
One was a victim of the crazy storm winds, the other one didn't make it through the freeze in February.




All in all, it could have been much worse and I am thankful it wasn't. We got out without roof damage save a few dings in the whirly birds, but hey, it adds character right? And honestly, I don't know anyone else except an insurance adjuster that would notice anyways.
I am grateful for our generous neighbors that helped us cut the downed tree off the driveway and also helped us get up a temporary fence. I think that was another hidden gem of the storm, watching how our neighborhood stepped up and helped each other out while cleaning up the mess. We are so very blessed!

Now we wait for the new fence to be installed! As a bonus for the dogs, they have figured out that the next door neighbors love to give them cookies by the temporary fence. It's one of the first places they check out when going outside now.

2 comments:

  1. A lot going on! I bet you were very surprised to see the fence gone! Glad you were not hurt. The dogs will be unhappy when the new fence goes up - and they get no more cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have such a great neighborhood. Bummer about the fence, but it sounds like the dogs didn't mind one bit.

    ReplyDelete